Sunday, April 22, 2012

Babble

Zoe's been talking more and more, which is really fun.  But I've noticed something interesting... as her language skills develop, mine seem to be worsening.  My friend Kristine who is a Speech Therapist who works with kids told me when you're teaching your baby new words you should keep your language brief, 1 or 2 words.  So instead of saying, "Zoe, look here is the ball!", just say "ball" and point or give it to her.  So I've been trying this and have noticed after a full day with Zoe, I might skip a few words when talking to Tim... like instead of saying, "Honey, could you please go get our baby girl out of her crib and change her diaper while I cook dinner?" ... I might say, "Go get girl"...  yikes. 

It also reminds me of when Tim was in Switzerland and living and talking with so many people who didn't speak very much English, his language skills suffered.  He would leave out the adverbs or adjectives and sounded as if English was maybe his second language too.  Luckily, it seems like it's more like picking up a temporary accent than actually losing your vocabulary.  Anyway, here is Zoe saying a few words, it's fun to get them on video. 



No comments:

Post a Comment