Monday, March 5, 2012

Nikki McClure

When we lived in Tacoma I saw a lot of art by Nikki McClure (who lives in Olympia) and does paper cut illustrations and writes children's books.  I love how the images are extremely precise yet totally natural and how rich a picture can be with just black and white or a few colors.  We have a few of her books and they are some of my favorites.  I read this great interview and video of her and wanted to share.

And all of a sudden, I find myself reading a lot of kiddie books and I am amazed at how good some of them can be.  One of my favorites was 'Blueberries for Sal' - do you remember it?  I had forgotten about it completely until I read that interview and then I could see the pictures in my mind perfectly.  It is crazy to think that Zoe is getting pictures from her books ingrained in her mind too.  Well, actually she pretty much just puts them in her mouth right now... not sure how much is being 'ingrained'!

And here is the video of Nikki McClure.  Seeing it reminds me so much of the Pacific Northwest!

No comments:

Post a Comment