Monday, January 16, 2012

resolutions

This new year's eve, Tim and I did something a little bit funny (or maybe it's just a sign of our neurotic tendencies to try to assert control over the other - no telling who came up with this idea)... we each allowed the other person to give us a resolution.  How very generous we are!  After I gave Tim a tidy little list, he very sweetly asked this one thing of me: "Please walk the dog more."  (When we lived in WA and Tim was in school he walked Tres once or twice a day which makes for a very happy doggie)

Okay, I can do this, right?  I have ALL day to walk Tres... and he LOVES walks... and Zoe loves walks! And it's not like I don't enjoy getting outside. This should be no problem at all.  I immediately set the goal of walking him every day.  Then I do a little research on setting goals and find out, "on average, we spend four hours each day actively resisting things we desire." Wow, four hours a day ... this sort of amazes me, yet somehow doesn't surprise me.  I am doing pretty well with my resolution so far, but notice how I always have to tell Tim the moment he gets home, "We went for a walk!" And not only that, but I detail the distance, the route, the time, any additional activities (talking to neighbors, throwing a stick, etc) and when I hear myself talk it sorta sounds like I am just in it for the kudos.  But I heard somewhere that it takes 30 days to make a habit and so maybe if I just keep going I will genuinely want to go for walks... so I am sticking with this.

Am I actively resisting walking the dog for 4 hours every day?  Not really, but today for example it's just that Zoe went down for a nap, and then when she woke up she was hungry and we decided to play and read for a while, then I needed to catch up on some work, and watch an episode of 'Parks and Rec' and then I needed to figure out what to make for dinner so I checked out Pinterest, and then ohmygod, where did the time go?  Gotta walk before it gets dark!  And I look outside and see the snow falling and the temperature falling and I feel that hot chocolate calling my name... sorry, old Tres buddy.  There's always tomorrow.
Good thing my other resolution is just drinking more water.

No comments:

Post a Comment